Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Praise Allah and pass the Bundy

On a recent foray downunder for the holiday season I was keen to purchase my favourite rum at the duty free price (1) to save myself a few bucks, and (2) because I've not seen Bundy for sale in Jakarta. Imagine my shock when the "duty free" price at the airport in Australia was an exorbitant US$20, whereas the little duty free shop next to the baggage collection area at Soekarno-Hatta airport in Jakarta sells the same stuff with a price tag of just US$12, which made my purchasing decision very easy.

2 Comments:

Blogger Patung said...

Isn't bundy, and other hard liquor, illegal in Jakarta now, except in said duty-free shops?

patung at Indonesia News

1:10 AM  
Blogger The Editor said...

Supposedly, yes. Some supermarkets still have hard liquor and wine on the shelves, and others put the booze out on their shelves on weekends only. Beer is unaffected, and is available everywhere. Of course, hard liquor can still be purchased in bars, clubs and hotels.

6:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home